McAfee Internet Security offers a platform to stay protected from Trojans, spyware, virus attacks, and more. It not only detects online threats, infected websites, and blocks malware and viruses but also keeps zero-day threats, suspicious servers, and botnets away.
Some notable features of McAfee Internet Security are as follows:
- Removes cookies and unnecessary online files so that your PC runs smoothly.
- Securely destroys the files that are no longer in use, such as tax documents, etc.
- Checks for the need of upgrading to the latest versions of the software.
- Keeps a check on sensitive sites so that children cannot access them.
- Sets age limit on your web browsers for the level of internet usage.
- Also, sets a time limit for online activities.
- Gives a detailed report of what your children were going through on the Internet.
McAfee Internet Security has an application protection feature that stops anonymous apps from running on your PC along with restricting their Internet access on the basis of rules set by you.
In this article, you will find the details on how to set up rules to block specific apps from running or gaining access to the Internet.
How to set up Application Protection rules on your device?
1. Open your PC and go to “McAfee Application Protection” folder and select its “Preferences”.
2. Tap “Application Protection” tab.
3. Now, click on the “lock” icon which allows you to make changes.
4. Enter the Admin credentials and tap on the “OK”.
5. Now choose from the three available options:
- Allow- this option will allow specific apps to run.
- Block- on clicking this option some specific apps will stop to run.
- Prompt- to get allow/block prompts whenever an app tries to run.
6. Tap the (+) sign in order to create the rule.
7. Tap the “magnifying glass” icon to have a look at previously installed apps.
8. Choose the app on which you want to set the rules.
9. From the following, choose the level of access to the selected app:
- Allow Execution With Full Network Access: it lets users access apps without restricting their Internet usage.
- Allow Execution Without Network Access: you can access apps even without access to the Internet.
- Allow Execution With Restricted Network Access: advanced users can make use of this option and change their preferences for apps at any time they like.
- Block execution- completely blocks the pathway for certain applications to run.
10. Tap “OK” after setting your preferences.
11. Once again click the “Lock” icon so that future changes cannot be made.
Exclude an application
You can also exclude an application from your list by following the steps given below:
- Open your PC and go to “McAfee Internet Security” folder.
- Tap “Application Protection” tab.
- Now, click on the “lock” icon which allows you to make changes.
- Enter the Admin credentials and tap on the “OK”.
- Tap “Exclusions” and press the (+) sign in order to add exclusion.
- Select the app you wish to exclude from the application protection rule list.
- Now, tap “Open” and click “OK”.
- Once again click the “Lock” icon in order to prevent further changes.
It is recommended to install McAfee Internet Security on your device if you want to stay protected from evolving cyber-criminal activities. With a security product like this, you can control as well as manage the digital well-being of your loved ones.